Priority vs. Important
This is so simple yet so many people will mix these two definitions up. I will give it to you as simply as I can say it; Priorities are Yours and Important things are Theirs. I’ll explain.
Priorities are the things you must do to move forward toward your goal.
Things that are priorities are:
- Business or Personal appointments with you
- Selling your products/services
- Serving your customers/Caring for loved ones
Important things are other people’s priorities. Here are some examples:
- Responding to their email
- Forwarding information or data
- Interrupting your schedule for a “quick call”
Ask yourself if the important task you need to do is getting You closer to your goal, or someone else closer to their goal.
I am not saying to be selfish and avoid those important tasks that are someone else’s priority. What I am explaining is that you must do your own priorities before you do other people’s priorities.